The perks of wireless charging are obvious: No wires. Put your phone on top of the (usually Qi-based) charger, and power is wirelessly transmitted from coil to coil. It's simple and easy in the right position when it works correctly. However, there are tradeoffs. For one, wireless charging usually generates more heat than similar power levels would with wired charging, which can diminish battery capacity over long-term ownership. Wireless charging also can't hit the type of crazy-high rates we have seen with recent fast-charging protocols, either. Sometimes, certain charger and phone combinations can protrude or behave unexpectedly also, even during this far-off futuristic date of 2020.
I want to eschew wireless charging just because wired solutions were faster, but now that I'm spending less outing and about amid the continued pandemic, I'm starting to appreciate the convenience. Plus, the wireless charger on my desk is sort of pretty, and I'd hate for it to travel to waste.
We've done this poll a few times, but it's been five years since the last time we asked, and I'm curious to see how the numbers may have changed. After all, wireless charging has improved quite a bit since then, and more gadgets like headphones and wearables use it now, potentially making it more likely you'll use it with a phone, too. For ease of comparison, we'll keep the options as they were before.

Comments
Post a Comment